Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Quilt

I learned to quilt as a kid when a sister from church had the grand idea that my mom would like a quilt for her birthday. We were staying with them for a week (or weekend, can't remember which), and we spent spare moments sewing hearts onto squares and piecing four-square patches.

When I was 16 I figured, Hey! I can sew a straight line, how hard could a quilt be? And I made a baby quilt for a dear leader. I remember sitting myself down in front of a single shelf at the library that had a ton of quilt books, and I started pulling books at random until I found a patchwork pattern that looked simple enough. That quilt took FOREVER and it was a steeeeeeeeeeep learning curve. My leader's mother kindly took the quilt and me in hand and taught me how to do simple repairs, and a faster, more efficient, way to do the finicky mitered corners that I'd spent hours trying to perfect.

I've gone on to make this quilt a few more times. I just finished the latest iteration, it took me a grand total of three hours to complete. I've got two more on the chopping block.

I was trying to remember just how many times I've made this quilt...


Ethan

Girl blanket for YW service project

Boy blanket for YW service project

Faith

David

Seth

Digory

Sean

Sky

Andrea

Evelyn (I think...)

Charlotte

Peter

Matthias

Henry

William

Calvin

Church project

Adeline

Griffin

Lauren

Baby May


I wish I had pictures of all of them. Try as I might I couldn't find all of them, a couple I didn't bother taking pictures anyway. I have no idea if any of these babies still have their quilts (aside from my own kids), or if they ever even used them (again, aside from my own kids). Either way, I always enjoy stitching a little love for these little guys.

1 comment: