Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Spring Break Adventures III

Today's adventures stayed a little closer to home. We went to a basket shop five minutes up the road and took a basket weaving class.

The shop itself was fun to explore with all of the basketry supplies one could ever hope to find. For a basket-lover like myself it was basket heaven! The shop owner was kind and patient, the perfect teacher. 
David and Andrea were clever and figured out the pattern and system pretty quickly. Peter needed some help, but he, too, weaved his basket with little trouble. 


David was attentive to all of the details and Miss Kathy taught him an extra nice finishing technique for his basket. She said that boys tend to be surprisingly good at basket weaving. Kids that are good at math also tend to excel at the craft.
Peter and I did the normal finish on our basket. Andrea did a loop that leaves the basket looking like it has a lace edge, it is very pretty.

After our class we went on a hike at Kensington and fed some chickadees. Everyone got at least one bird in their hand, so all left happy though one little girl grumbled almost the entire time. 



We saw a muskrat (I think...) as we were heading out. 
After our hike we went home for lunch. And, after two days of long, busy days, everyone was extra tired so we all went and had quiet/nap time. I set my timer for an hour, so imagine my surprise when Jonathan, not my timer, woke us up! We'd been out for a solid two and a half hours! We got ready for the YMCA, went and played (kids) and worked out (me and Jonathan), then hurried home for dinner. I had promised the kids we would have ice cream after quiet time, so we went after dinner. 
It was just across the street, and I am rather sorry we haven't been before. It was really good!

So another successful day, albeit quieter than the last two. But a rest day is always a good thing.

David and I want to go back to the Basket Sampler and make more baskets. That was just so much fun. It is always something I've wanted to do but never tried until now. I think the best part was that we paid $7 for each basket's supplies and then the instruction and use of the workroom was included. We came home to a clean house, no mess for us! And we can go get other kits and work on them there again! A hobby with no accumulation of supplies at my tiny home... Now that is a hobby I could really embrace!

No comments:

Post a Comment