Saturday, March 30, 2019

Week's recap : Feis rhymes with mesh

Monday - The fiasco with the car keys. That was fun. Late night.

Tuesday - A rare evening free, spent cleaning, grocery shopping, and cleaning. I made a drying rack for our laundry that I absolutely love. I can vacuum under it, that's my favorite part.

Wednesday - I did extra laundry, just because I was so giddy over that laundry rack. And I started getting prepped for our feis weekend. David had mutual, Andrea had dance. Mutual is a pain because it requires rides every single week, and I don't like inconveniencing the families in our ward like that. But he got there. And Andrea got to dance, then the last half hour of Activity Days when we got to the church to pick up David. Another late night, though.

Thursday - David played with a friend, I started cooking and packing and planning for our road trip. Andrea had dance. I also had the kids do a sock folding blitz with me. I hate folding socks. I don't know why. Maybe because trolls exist, they steal your socks, but only the left ones (why's that?). So we had two baskets with nothing but socks in it. The kids and I laid out all the clean socks in rows, then paired all that we could. We will find the rest eventually. I think. Why do we have so many socks? We need more trolls.

Friday - I volunteer at the school to help with popcorn every Friday. Then I packed and cooked and cleaned like a crazy lady. We drove straight from picking up the middles from school to our Airbnb in Columbus. Ohio is weird, man. Without anything adjusting, or our map changing course, the GPS added minutes to our drive time. When we left the house it told us we'd have a 3 1/2 hour drive ahead of us. By the time we were an hour in the GPS had added 20 minutes to that drive time. It got no better. Almost 5 hours later we rolled up to the Airbnb. I don't know how it did that. We hit no traffic, and we only had one potty stop. We ate the food I'd packed up in the car (use take-out boxes, it makes no mess, its not flat like a plate so it keeps food contained, and you can just throw it away when you're done), so we didn't stop for food. But somehow our drive took an hour and half longer than we'd anticipated.

Saturday - we were up and going at 7:00. That's a feis day for ya. Andrea got dressed, the boys got dressed, we ate the breakfast I'd packed, and we left. The Ohio Expo Center is a mess to get to, and don't listen to Larry when he tells you the ladies at the other booths take cards, it is a cash-only establishment. (Why didn't I have cash??? That was stupid, I always carry cash.) Andrea worked so hard the last few weeks to practice and learn all of her steps. She didn't do as well as she'd hoped. There was some stiff competition, and a LOT of kids competing in each dance. She came out about the middle of the pack in each one. The judge comments were the same in each dance: turn out your feet, crossover, high on your toes. Turn out has been a bear the entire time she's danced. She'll get there, if she wants to. We'll see what happens. We left the expo at 3:30. Again, our GPS said 3 hours, 27 minutes to get home. With one added stop we still didn't get home until 9:00. I don't know what happens in Ohio, but it adds time to your GPS. But it does have Chick-fil-A and Waffle House, so I'll give it that. Otherwise we bleed Blue, and PureMichigan is way better. Sorry, Buckeyes.

Things I've learned this week:

- Feising in Ohio is hard.
- Feising with all the kids is harder.
- Feising overnight and away from home needs to be saved for when Jonathan is back.*
- *Muskegon is an overnight feis, but it is also a great place with a warm sandy beach and a gorgeous lake that looks like an ocean. It does not count.
- Keep your keys in your pocket, even if you think the car door is unlocked.
- Ohio adds time to your drive.
- I need to say NO more often, I just don't have the time I think I do. I feel like everything takes longer without another parent. It isn't harder, it just takes more time. Like Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment